Resident Card Translation

Top > Resident Card Translation

Residence Certificate Translation

You may be required to submit the following documents together with a translation as part of your visa application to prove your place of residence or cohabitation with spouse, etc.

  • Residence Certificate [Juminhyo]
  • Certificate of Registered Matters [Torokugenpyo Kisaijiko Shomeisho]
  • Basic Resident Register Card [Juki Card]
  • Seal Registration Certificate [Inkan Toroku Shomeisho]
  • Certificate of Alien Registration [Gaikokujin Toroku Shomeisho]

Many countries and institutions require that these documents be translated by a third party (a translation company) and not the person submitting the documents to ensure that the translations are impartial. We receive many requests from non-Japanese nationals for translations of Certificates of Registered Matters.

Samurai Translator’s Certificate Translation

Take advantage of Samurai Translator’s translation service, if you need your Japanese Residence Certificate translated to English. Samurai Translators was established in 1999 and we have handled countless certificate translations since that time. We produce translations of consistently high quality which has earned us the trust of many clients and numerous institutions to which our translations are submitted. We take pride in being able to be a part of the important milestones in our clients’ lives through the translation of important documents which they need to move forward with their plans and we are committed to providing our clients with carefully executed translations. We are a translation company with an excellent performance record and any documents submitted with documents certifying that the translation has been produced by our Company will fully validate their authenticity.

Translation Fees

Residence Certificate
1 person 6,600 yen
2 people 8,800 yen
3 people 11,000 yen
4 people 13,200 yen
5 people or more – We will provide a separate quote
Residence Certificate  ⇒ Sample (Japanese)
Certificate of Registered Matters
1 page 8,800 yen
2 pages 13,200 yen
3 pages or more We will provide a separate quote.
Basic Resident Register Card (Juki Card)
We will provide a quote after seeing the original.
Seal Registration Certificate
We will provide a quote after seeing the original.
Certificate of Alien Registration
We will provide a quote after seeing the original.

For a more detailed price list, click here ⇒ Translation Price List (Japanese to English Translation)

Delivery Times

Turnaround: Standard delivery is within 5 business days of receipt of payment. Earlier delivery made by the following day is available (express translation fees will apply)
See here for more information on our delivery times. ⇒ Translation Delivery Methods and Times

Certificate of Translation

All our certificate translations are delivered to you with a Certificate of Translation stamped with our company seal and signed by the translator in charge of your translation. We are a recognized translation company and our translation certification service has a proven track record of success. You can rest assured that translated documents submitted with our Certificate of Translation as part of your visa application will be accepted as authentic translations.

Sample: Certificate of Translation (Sample) Documents received in your translation delivery (with Certificate of Translation)

Click here to place an order


Translation Notarization

You may be required to notarize the translated version of your document. If after checking with the relevant institutions you find this to be the case, please include this in your translation order.


Householder on Residence Certificate and Head of Family in Transcript of Family Register

The Residence Certificate includes both the “Householder” and the “Head of the Family”. In many cases, the same person will be listed under both causing many to wonder what the difference is between the two. The “Householder” is arguably the most important entry in the Residence Certificate and refers to the primary individual of the residence which is listed on the Residence Certificate. The “Head of the Family” on the other hand relates to the Family Register of those living in the residence and refers to the person listed at the top of the Family Register. It is the person in the heading section of the Family Register. As long as there are no changes to the members of the family comprising the spouse and children of the Head of the Family, no changes will be made to the “Family Register” and the Head of the Family will remain the same. (Incidentally, this applies even if the Head of the Family dies, as long as there are other members still listed on his/her Family Register.) The Head of the Family is called the “Reference to the Family Register” and serves to identify the registered domicile as well as the Family Register of an individual. Unlike the registered domicile, an individual’s “Residence” may change more frequently along with changes in individuals’ lives such as when individuals are transferred for work purposes without their families or when children take up residence in apartments to pursue education, etc. In the latter case, the child will become the Householder of the new residence, however, the Head of Family listed on his/her Family Register shall invariably still be his/her father (or mother). The Head of the Family does not merely refer to the person listed at the top of the Family Register. Under the former system, it also had the meaning of “Patriarch of the Family” or “Main Breadwinner”. Although there is some discussion concerning couples having separate surnames, at least for now, under the current Family Register System, the surname of the Head of the Family is the surname shared by all the family members.

Date of Becoming a Resident (住民となった年月日) and Date of Fixing the Address (住所を定めた年月日)

Although the format of Residence Certificates varies from one municipality to the next, the details they contain remain largely the same. First included on the Residence Certificate is the name of the Householder followed by the “Date of Becoming a Resident” and the “Date of Fixing the Address”. In most cases these two dates will also be the same which often leads to confusion concerning the difference between the two. The “Date of Becoming a Resident” is the “date on which an individual becomes a resident of a certain municipality”. Basically, it is the date on which the Residence Certificate was initially created. The “Date of Fixing the Address”, on the other hand, is the “date on which an individual fixed his address at the current address”. Cases where these two dates may differ include where an individual has moved within the same municipality which would result in the “Date of Becoming a Resident” remaining the same but the “Date of Fixing the Address” being updated to the date the individual moved to the new address. The two dates would also be different if a child was born while living at the address so the “Date of Fixing the Address” under the child column would be entered as the child’s date of birth.

Certified Copy and Extract of Residence Certificate

Residence Certificates contain information on all the members of a household but you can apply for a resident card which only includes the information of one or some of the household members. You will be issued with a card including the person/s listed in your application. Make sure you apply for a Residence Certificate which suited to the purpose it will be used for.

Foreigners’ Residence Certificates

Despite the fact that those married to foreign nationals will undoubtedly live together with their spouses, generally, foreign nationals are not included in the Residence Certificate. Foreign nationals will likely need to prove their address status with a registration certificate. According to newspaper reports, there are debates underway regarding changing the foreigner registration system from being conducted on an individual basis to a household basis. In the future, we may see the abolishment of the alien registration card and the introduction of the Residence Certificate for foreigners too. (*Note) Subsequent to the above, the Residential Basic Book Act was amended to allow Residence Certificates to also include foreign nationals (as of November 2013).

Translation of Residence Certificates and Seal Registration Certificates

Family Registers list the address of an individual’s registered domicile, however, a person’s registered domicile may not necessarily have any connection to the address at which that individual currently resides, therefore, you may be required to produce a Residence Certificate proving your current address and cohabitation with spouse, etc. together with a translation. Other documents we are often requested to translate to English as proof of address as an alternative to the Residence Certificate are Seal Registration Certificates and Alien Registration Cards (Certificates of Registered Matters and Foreigner Registration Cards) which also list an individual’s address.